Our education and training services help promote awareness and reduce the risk of sudden death during infancy.
Our medical program provides sliding scale services to high risk infants
Our research program is aimed at reducing the incidence of – and ultimately eliminating – unexpected sleep related death during infancy.
Our Support Services provide support and counseling to families of SIDS and high-risk infants.
Download the Press Release!
A Private, Non-Profit 501(C)(3) United Way Participating Agency.
Our mission is to end unexpected infant mortality through education, support, medical services and research. Our dedication is to assist those who are victims and to search for the cause(s) of sudden unexpected death during infancy, identify ways to reduce the risk, disseminate this information, and, ultimately, to prevent these tragic losses.
Our Reduce the Risk campaign focuses on two categories of sudden unexpected infant death (SUID) : (1) Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) and (2) accidental suffocation/ co-sleeping.
Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) is the sudden, unexpected death of an apparently healthy infant, for which no cause can be identified. It continues to be a leading cause of death during infancy despite years of research. Unintentional suffocation is the leading cause of injury death among children aged < 1 year in the United States and many of these deaths are linked to unsafe sleep practices. Research has documented a 4 fold increase in accidental suffocation/ co-sleeping deaths since the 1980’s.
For more information on our programs please visit our SERVICES page.
Did You Know That
- Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) is the number one killer of all babies between one week and one year of age?
- SIDS claims more American babies every year than all childhood cancers, leukemia, heart disease, cystic fibrosis, AIDS, and child abuse combined?
- Sudden death during infancy is one of the most pressing pediatric problems of our time?
- SIDS crosses all social, economic and racial boundaries?
- The SIDS infant appears normal to the parent and physician?
- SIDS strikes suddenly and silently, claiming its small victims during sleep?
- Despite the magnitude of the problem, the cause of SIDS remains unknown?
- That you can reduce the risk of your baby dying by following simple guidelines for creating a safe sleep environment?
- NO ONE IS TO BLAME?
If you would like to make a donation in memory or in honor of a loved one, please contact our office at 979-297-2101 or 800-245-SIDS (7437). You may give your credit card information over the phone. After processing, this information will be shredded. Alternatively, you may mail a check payable to the Southwest SIDS Research Institute, 230 Parking Way, Lake Jackson, Texas 77566. You will be given a letter acknowledging your tax deductible contribution and the family will be notified of your donation. Your contribution is greatly needed and appreciated.